Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Soul's Windows

As the title must've let on, this post is on our perception centers - the eyes.

Being a student of Biology, I spent a good deal of last evening learning about the structure of the eye, with terms such as rhodopsin, macula lutea, fovea centralis and scotopic floating about my head.
But there's always more to something, isn't there?

Something one of my close friends said to me comes to mind.
It was a year or so back, we were in class and I was engaged in a conversation with her.
It was then that she randomly said, "Your eyes are like those of a polar bear."
Fascinating part to me was that she knew what a polar bear's eyes looked like.
Upon further inquisition, I found out she said it because even though I was smiling, my eyes showed 'a deep sadness'.
Given the height of global warming, though, the polar bears must be sad.

I don't remember much after that, but it does show that you can walk about with a smile as big as a Cheshire cat's, but your eyes will eventually sell you out. Unintentionally, I suppose.

Doing my fair share of reading, I found out that emotions are truly expressed by these little orbs. Happiness dilates our pupils and our sub-consciousness actually picks that up in other people. Seems like just looking at a person's smile isn't the only thing that makes it unbearably infectious.
The eyes betray our innermost thoughts, even liars have a hard time hiding things.

So the next time you think someone may be hiding something from you, try concentrating on their eyes.
I wouldn't recommend trying that on me, though. Staring contest, anyone?


This post was inspired by a painting I had the immense pleasure of viewing the day before.
Whoever said that a good painting couldn't capture the intensity of the eye must've been a Philistine.


- Passion of the Dance [David Lowe's Dreamcatcher]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons Licence
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.